Srila Prabhupada, the Founder Acarya of the International Society for Krishna consciousness (ISKCON) explains that Krishna consciousness is an art of changing our hearts by purification from the dust of material desires. We cannot stop our desires because as living entities, desiring is the component part of our constitution. Therefore we cannot give up our desires, but we can purify our desires. Killing of desire is no solution, but curing the desires, diseased condition of desire, is the right solution. As such, therefore, this dust of misunderstanding is cleared off. We can see our real position of life and make steady progress towards the ultimate goal of life. We have forgotten the ultimate goal of our life due to lack of Krishna consciousness. Therefore our entire activity should be executed in Krishna consciousness to revive our lost relationship with God, or Krishna.We do not prohibit anyone to cease from the present occupational duties, but we simply recommend that he executes such duties in Krishna consciousness. This is the process of bhakti yoga.
To facilitate our practice of Krishna Consciousness and give Krishna Consciousness to others there are numerous activities and programs that the society undertakes:
- 4 da uth —In this day and age youth specifically are faced with many challenges. Youth groups to facilitate a forum whereby regular challenges and points of interest could be introduced and dealt with in innovative ways.
- Bhaktivedanta College of Education and Culture (BCEC) — Structured, systematic study of the Vedic scriptures for students of all ages at numerous locations across Gauteng
- Food for Life — FFL is a non-profit organization and the worlds largest vegetarian food relief programme, bringing food to the needy of the world through liberal distribution of pure vegetarian food prepared with love. The food prepared is then offered to Krishna and honored as prasadam, sanctified food. Thus the food distributed not only nourishes the body but the soul.
- Namahatta (Service groups) —Namhatta or service groups are community based programs held at various locations to facilitate the communal development of Krishna Consciousness in a particular suburb.
- On Campus —The Bhakti Yoga Society (BYS) operates on campuses at some of the most prestigious universities in Gauteng. Through dynamic programs focuses on helping students tackle the typical problems and obstacles they are confronted with, and attempts to develop the spiritual character of the members.
- Sunday Love Feast – After a whole week of bodily & mentally tiring work, why not use your Sundays to refresh yourself by bathing in Vedic spiritual wisdom and recreation? After that, a tasty and healthy international vegetarian feast will be served at no charge.